How expats see and experience Vietnam after many years of living and working in the country always is such a curiosity for Vietnamese. Things that we take for granted, the pace of life and cultural traditions that we get used to since childhood become quite unique and interesting in the eyes of foreigner friends. Therefore once in a while, I find myself reading some random expat blog just to have a fresher view about my homeland.
If this is your first year in Vietnam, I guess you may also want to check out the following blogs where people share about their experiences living in Vietnam, and maybe get some inspiration to start writing on your own. Well it can be your first crossing the streets full of motorbike or drinking lemon tea on the street pavement at night.
- Author: Tom.
- Genre: Guide, review, food and drink.
- Significant posts: The Beaches of Quy Nhon & Phu Yen: A Guide; The High Roads: Ha Giang→Ba Be Lake→Cao Bang; The Ferry from Soc Trang to Con Dao.
- Status: active.
The website created by Tom in 2012 is one of my most favorite. I came across his blog when trying to search if there is any green park nearby my apartment building for morning exercise.
As Tom put in the introduction, “Vietnam Coracle is a free online resource for independent travelers. My articles are extensive guides to food, drink, destinations, motorbike trips, and accommodation throughout the country. All my guides are 100% independent: written, researched, illustrated, and experienced by me”.
2. Hello Saigon
- Author: Lyra.
- Genre: food and drink, destinations, review.
- Significant posts: Where to buy electronics in Ho Chi Minh City?, How to Get a Birth Certificate in Vietnam: A Summary, Sports Stuff Street.
- Status: active.
Hello Saigon is an attempt by a 8-year resident to make sense of the beauty and quirks of this lovely and vibrant city that is Saigon. Her name is Lyra and I personally find her writing warm and friendly.
- Author: Tomo – an Japanese-Vietnamese-American.
- Genre: lifestyle, tech, travel.
- Significant posts: How to take a motorbike taxi and pay the right price without getting ripped off, Should an American Retire in Vietnam or Southeast Asia?, How ignoring feedback hurts Vietnamese businesses.
- Status: inactive, but you can follow his twitter account @tomosaigon.
A Vietnam blog written by Tomo, an expat writing about technology, entrepreneurship, software currently living and traveling in Saigon, Vietnam. One of his blog posts “Finding affordable housing in Vietnam” was introduced on our Facebook before.
4. Expat Diary
- Author: Jeanne Henriques.
- Genre: Lifestyle, tips, travel, food and drink.
- Significant posts: Vietnam Vespa Adventures, Travel Tips…Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Coffee Beans and Post Stamps…Saigon.
- Status: inactive since mid 2016, however, she still updates stuff on her facebook.
Jeanne Henriques has lived in Saigon for over three years. During that time, she has “collected business cards, travel books, written notes, picked up recommendations and the list goes on”. Expat Diary is a place for her to share the love for Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon.
- Author: multiple, mostly Vietnamese.
- Genre: lifestyle, travel, food and drink.
- Significant posts: The Best Massage Spas in Saigon, Everything About the Buckwheat Flower Season in Ha Giang, Tan Dinh Market – A Truly Authentic Vietnamese Market, 5 Must Try Vietnamese Desserts And Where To Find Them In Saigon.
- Status: Active.
One of the most famous blogs for expat in Vietnam – Christina blog is contributed by many experienced locals and foreigners as well. They wrote a lot insightful posts helping expats enjoy their days in Vietnam the most. Whether where you are traveling in Vietnam: Ha Noi, Ha Giang, Sai Gon, etc., the blog posts will provide a bunch of helpful tips and recommendations for you.
The last one, yes, it is us, Hoozing! We have more than 200 blog posts about Saigon written and featured in our site.
If you’re looking for rental guides such as Vietnamese Landlords’ characteristic, Must Known Practices in Vietnam House Rental Market or Tips and Tricks such as How to move to Vietnam with your pets or The Most Proper Way to Obtain Vietnam Visa, just enter our site.
We update news and and events happening in Saigon everyday, so that don’t miss out!